A writer on Medium, a platform I write on, gave a list of writing prompts for December. Here’s my response to one of them.
What are 5 things you like about Christmas and 5 things you don’t like about it?
Ah, Christmas! Five things I like about you!
- Decorating the Christmas tree and revisiting the memories attached to each ornament, like things crocheted by my grandmother or a Snoopy bell ornament my father bought me.
- Singing Christmas hymns and songs alone or with others. Frankly I love to sing hymns any time.
- The generosity and kindness that the Christmas season brings out in many people. Not all, but many.
- Christmas movies like White Christmas, A Christmas Story, and A Charlie Brown Christmas. I do like newer Christmas movies, too, but I’m partial to older ones.
- The opportunity and encouragement to refocus on Christ, who is the reason for the season and so much more.
Bah! Humbug! Five things I don’t like about Christmas
- The ever-present ‘Best Christmas Ever’ mentality in our society. This causes so much stress and makes it hard to enjoy the season as imperfect as it may be. Plus, it makes for too much Monday Morning Quarterbacking on December 26.
- Playing Dirty Santa. I’ve seen too many kids in tears while playing this game because some kids are mean and bully others, even their friends.
- The commercialization of the Christmas season. I don’t need to explain because you already know.
- The Little Drummer Boy song. Unpopular opinion, I know, but it’s the one I have. I love the message in the song, but I don’t love the Pa Rum Pum Pum Pum repeatedly. Makes me want to scream, honestly.
- When kids think they’ve been naughty because they didn’t get what they asked Santa for. There are ways around this.
That’s my list of 5 and 5. What’s on your list?
Copyright © 2023 Nancy H. Vest All Rights Reserved